Engine oil or motor oil has several functions inside an engine. Oil in its purest form functions as a lubricant. The correct oil gives life to an engine, just like the blood in our body.
Engine’s lubrication system consists of a sump, oil galleries, an oil pump, and the filter.
- Sump– the bulk of the oil is stored
- Oil galleries– just like veins that transport blood through your body
- Oil pump– the heart of the matter
- Filter– removes impurities from the oil before it is pumped through the motor, just like kidneys.
The primary job of engine oil is to ensure the engine components running smoothly by reducing friction, cooling, cleaning, and serving as protection for moving parts.
- Reducing Friction– Lubricants provide a fluid barrier between moving parts to prevent friction and wear.
- Cooling– The coolant system based in engines cools the upper engine and its parts. Engine cools the engine, preventing energy loss & engine deterioration.
- Cleaning– Detergents that are part of the additive packages remove impurities to the oil filter and clean existing deposits and foreign substances in the engine, achieving engine cleanliness& preventing it from damages.
- Protection– Engine oils consists of rust and corrosion inhibitors which protect the engine against corrosion and wear and tear as oil begins to oxidate, ensuring an increased engine life and better performances.
Why is it necessary to change the oil?
As the oil keeps moving inside the engine it also picks up dirt and other small pieces of debris from the engine. While this helps the engine to keep free of these particles, over time the oil gets too dirty to be effective. This is why the oil has to be changed.
Choosing the right oil for your car!
Understanding the different types of Engine/Motor Oil:
- Full synthetic motor oil: Full synthetic oils are manufactured entirely in a factory or a lab. These oils are made for high tech engines. They flow better low temperatures and maintain peak lubrication at high temperatures. Use the owner’s manual as a guide.
- Synthetic blend motor oil: Synthetic blend oils are a kind of hybrid oil manufactured from both synthetic and natural materials. They provide better performance and protection than conventional oil, but not as quite good as full synthetic oil. They last a bit longer than conventional oils but not as long as full-synthetic.
- Conventional motor oil: Convention oil is the standard motor oil. It is manufactured from crude oil that’s pulled from the ground and then refined in a factory. Different additives and processes are done to improve its viscosity(thickness) and protective properties, and then it is bottled sold for use.
- High Mileage motor oil: High mileage oil is a unique branch of oil that’s entirely on its own. These products have a blend of unique additives included, which in turn helps prevent oil evaporation and improves overall performance. Seal conditioners are added to the oil to expand and increase the flexibility of internal engine seals.
What happens when you skip an oil change?
Let’s say your engine has plenty of oil, but you never want to change it. This is what will happen:
- Dirt gets accumulated in the oil. The filter will remove the dirt for a while, but eventually, the filter will clog and the dirty oil will automatically bypass through a relief valve. Dirty oil is thick and abrasive, so it causes more wear.
- Additives in the oil like detergents, dispersants, rust fighters, and friction reducers will wear out, so the oil won’t lubricate as well as it should.
- The most common problem with forgetting oil change is that the engine gets heated up and won’t run efficiently. This means the engine components will wrap and wear over time.
- The worst-case scenario for drivers who neglect the oil change is that it could completely ruin the engine! Over time, the wear and tear mean that the engine block has to be replaced. This usually costs a huge amount and most of the drivers will choose to either sell or scrap the car at that point.
Don’t doom your car to the scrapyard. Oil changes are easy with a professional technician. Call us on 9008000000 or schedule a visit today for an engine oil change or general servicing of your car!